Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Attorney Birmingham & Throughout Alabama

Frequently Asked Questions About Nursing Home Abuse

Get answers you can trust from an experienced Alabama attorney

Finding answers to complicated questions about nursing home abuse can be overwhelming. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place. At Shuttlesworth Law Firm, P.C., Attorney Perry Shuttlesworth has dedicated his career to fighting for victims who have been injured through no fault of their own. With over 30 years of experience, he knows what it takes to build a successful legal case.

View the list below to get answers to some of the most common questions people have about nursing home abuse. If you suspect your loved one is being abused at a nursing home, a lawyer may be able to help you take legal action and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

Contact us today. Call 866-583-1885 to schedule a free case evaluation.

What are the warning signs of nursing home abuse?

Common warning signs of nursing home abuse include broken bones, bruises, bedsores, and other unexplained marks. Other warning signs include sudden changes in mood or behavior, depression, crying, weight loss, and poor hygiene.

Return to Top

Should nursing home abuse victims seek independent medical treatment?

A doctor should examine your loved one to provide appropriate medical attention and treatment for injuries. Taking your loved one to a medical professional right away will also be an important step to document your loved one’s injury.

Return to Top

Should I contact the police if I suspect nursing home abuse?

Elder abuse is a crime and should be reported to authorities. By contacting the police, you will create an official record of your nursing home abuse claim. This is an especially important step if your loved one was physically assaulted or is the victim of some other type of crime.

Return to Top

Who investigates nursing home abuse complaints in Alabama?

Most nursing home abuse complaints in Alabama are investigated by the Alabama Department of Public Health, as well as the Alabama Department of Senior Services, and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program. To report nursing home abuse in Alabama, you can call the National Center on Elder Abuse toll-free at 800-356-9596.

Return to Top

Should I tell the nursing home I suspect abuse?

If you suspect your loved one is being abused, you should meet with an administrator or director from the nursing home as soon as possible. Take notes during the meeting and voice your concerns. If you still suspect something is wrong after speaking with an administrator, you may want to seek help from an attorney to explore your legal options.

Return to Top

Should I talk to the nursing home or its insurance company if they contact me about the abuse?

It’s usually best not to answer any questions if the nursing home or an insurance company representative contacts you about your abuse complaint. Any comments or written statements you make may be used against you.

Return to Top

Should I accept a settlement for my complaint?

Carefully review any financial offer or settlement you get for your nursing home abuse claim. If you accept an offer, you may forfeit your right to take future legal action or pursue additional compensation for damages.

Return to Top

Can I file a lawsuit for nursing home abuse?

If you suspect your loved one was injured, harmed, or died as a result of abuse at a nursing home, you may be able to take civil action against the responsible facility in the form of a lawsuit. These types of lawsuits often turn into complicated legal battles, so you may want to seek representation from a lawyer with experience handling cases involving nursing home abuse.

Return to Top

Can I negotiate for more money?

You are not obligated or legally required to accept a settlement offer. Any compensation you receive in the form of a settlement or verdict should be enough to cover all your damages. You may request more money from a settlement, but the other party has a right to deny that request. If a plaintiff and a defendant can’t come to an agreement through a settlement, it’s common for the case to go to trial.

Return to Top

Should I hire an attorney?

Cases involving nursing home abuse can be very complicated, so you may want to hire a lawyer to help you through the legal process. An attorney can launch an independent investigation into your case, find evidence to support your claim, handle settlement negotiations, and represent you in court if your case goes to trial.

Return to Top

Why should I hire Shuttlesworth Law Firm, P.C.?

Experience matters. That’s why so many people have relied on our law firm to help them make things rights. The proof is in our testimonials and case results. Discover what we can do for you. Call 866-583-1885 to schedule an appointment today.

Return to Top

American Association for Justice American Bar Association Peer Review Rated Martindale-Hubbell