What should I do if I'm a victim of police brutality?
Straight answers from our experienced Alabama police brutality attorneys you can trust
Victims of police brutality in Alabama often don't know what to do afterward. Even knowing how to start the legal process can be overwhelming. It's shocking to be assaulted by a police officer, someone who is supposed to keep us safe. You may even doubt whether the legal system will protect you.
Don't suffer in silence. Take action. You need someone on your side who understands what you're going through - someone who can fight for your rights.
At Shuttlesworth Lasseter, LLC, our experienced Alabama civil rights attorneys thoroughly understand Federal Statute 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and all the other laws created to protect the rights of police brutality victims. With our law firm on your side, you can take aggressive legal action.
Steps victims of police brutality should take in Alabama
We strongly encourage victims of police brutality in Alabama to take the following steps. You can also learn more about police brutality and your rights on our web page devoted to frequently asked questions about police brutality.
- Demand to be taken to an emergency room and document your injuries immediately.
- Have photos taken of your injuries.
- Write down as much as you can remember as soon as possible about your attack. Every detail matters.
- If possible, get the names and badge numbers of the officer(s) who assaulted you.
- File a complaint with the Police Department that employs the officer(s)
- Alternatively, you can also contact:
- Your local District Attorney's office
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation
- If possible, talk to witnesses and their full names, addresses and phone numbers
- Contact us immediately. We can help you every step of the way, which may include filing a claim against the city, county or state that employs the officer(s) or filing a lawsuit in court.
Experienced Alabama attorneys dedicated to delivering results to clients
Difficult legal cases demand experienced legal representation. Make sure you give your case the attention it deserves. Contact us today. Call 866-583-1885 and schedule a free case evaluation right now. A delay could affect the outcome of your case. If we handle your police brutality case, you don't have to pay us any fees unless we win. We are contingency fee lawyers.
When you have an experienced Alabama attorney on your side, you can take an aggressive stance right from the start. Don't let police departments or judges dictate what happens to you. Take back control. Contact Alabama police brutality attorneys at Shuttlesworth Lasseter, LLC.